Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Lifestyles of the Rich & Moronic

I went to this engagement dinner party last night and Oh My God!

Let me begin by explaining what an engagement dinner party is. It's when you invite 100 of your "closest" friends and relatives to the stiffest restaurant you can find and give them a venue to shmooze and talk about their new media job. I do have to point out that I did in no way choose to go to this piece of shit engagement but it was more of a favor to my parents. Not that I don't wish the future bride and groom the happiest of fairytale lives..I just really couldn't give two shits about last night's social scene.

The girl getting engaged went to the same high school I did. We were never friends but were fairly decent to each other. To my great joy she'd invited some of her school friends, people I haven't seen in years (totally by choice) and again, Oh My Freakin God. Picture this. The girls on one side of the room, wearing the lamest of pink floral dresses, posing for pictures like they're actually hot (ya right), pouts and big ass hair. Hmmm. The guys right across, all decked out in their black designer suits looking all sharp and jagaly. Of course, looking at the guys you really couldn't tell one from the other since they all stood the same way, one hand in their pocket, slight slouch, whiskey glass in the other hand, and their cigarette or cigar of choice.

What happened to you people? I distinctly remember being 17 and 18, watching you play fuck the tree and laughing your ass off thinking it was the funniest shit ever. I also remember playing ja7sheh with a whole bunch of you and taking piggyback rides on quite a few of your backs. Seriously, what happened? All this of course was topped off with 32 or so 97 year old ladies with big hair, bright red collagen injected lips, and cleavage no one really needs to see.

My sister stood by me all night, revolted almost as much as I was, and explaining how you know you're getting old when your school friends start going bald. I was seriously considering slitting my wrists just to get out of there. I went to the same school as these people, hung out at the exact same places, and grew up in the same environment. So why do I have no interest in posing for pictures like a moron, and eyeing the guy sucking on the cigar in the corner of the room? Am I missing a gene, was there something in the water at my house growing up? Where along the line did I choose leading a life so different from these fuckers? And was it a choice I made consciously or did it just happen? Why was I not standing there talking about my complete career shift a few months ago and my new media job?

I've always thought that my school was the most kickass school in Beirut. I know that people generally saw us as spoiled rich kids, but we never saw ourselves that way. We were just fun and open-minded school kids. Turns out everyone grew into the spoiled rich kid image, and I'm still running around in my flip flops.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:51:00 AM, Blogger Firas Wehbe said...

I feel the same way about my school, and I think its probably the same one that you went to. Lots of trees to fuck. Went back home 10 years after graduation, everybody was exactly the same, only lamer and more artificial.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 4:07:00 PM, Blogger Ramzi said...

"People are strange, when you're a stranger"

Moronic sums it beautifully I think...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home